INTERNATIONAL CENTRE FOR GANDHIAN STUDIES
UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY, MEGHALAYA
Media Fellowships ‐ 2018
The International Centre for Gandhian Studies (ICGS), a constituent of USTM, announces the following fellowships under prescribed terms and conditions to be offered to qualified, competent and committed Journalist / Activist for conducting need based research on the topics of high social relevance.
The Fellowships are:
I) Ph. D Fellowship (Maximum Duration -3 years)
a) Study on “Divorce, its Causes and Impact”
b) Study on “Inter Community Marriage and its Effect”
Eligibility: Post Graduate with minimum 55% marks (Relaxable by 5% for candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC/Minority community) having experience in print, television or digital media in North East India or a Social Activist
Fellowship Amount: Rs 3.6 Lakhs (Rupees Three Lakhs Sixty Thousand only)
Plus FREE Admission and Course Fees at USTM amounting to Rs 3.6 Lakhs (Rupees Three Lakhs Sixty Thousand only)
II) Project Study Fellowship (Duration- 6 months to 1 year)
a) Study on “Skill India and its Impact at Grass root Level”
b) Study on “Comparative Development Scenario of Model Villages Identified by Members of Parliament: Before and After Adoption”
c) Study on “Rise of New Age Media and its Impact”
Eligibility: Anygraduate journalist working with media in the North East
Fellowship Amount: Rs 1.5 Lakhs (Rupees One Lakh Fifty Thousand only). This may be increased depending on the effectiveness of working style.
Selection Process: Through written test and interview by an expert committee comprising veteran and renowned media personalities and academicians. USTM reserves the right not to award any fellowship if applications are not found appropriate.
Last date for submission of application:January 10, 2019
I) Ph. D Fellowship
The Fellowship Projects leading to Ph. D degree are to be completed within the period of three years.
Research Scholars will be expected to spend significant amount of their research time in the field areas to report on the concerned subjects.
Regarding the two general study areas mentioned as-- a) Study on “Divorce, its Causes and Impact” and b) Study on “Inter Community Marriage and its Effect” meant for Ph.D., the researcher has to focus on specific areas. The applicant has to mention the specific topic derived out of the general area as mentioned. The study must be based on the North East region of India. The study will be conducted as per UGC rules and regulations followed by the University of Science & Technology, Meghalaya.
Research guides / Supervisors for the Research Fellows will be provided by USTM. (You may kindly visit “Ph.D Window” in www.ustm.ac.in)
The Research Scholar has to complete the PhD Course Work and during the period of research work he or she has to present four Progress Reports at the end of every six months, as per UGC guidelines.
Fellowship applicants must send their applications with the following documents:
1. A copy of their curriculum vitae (CV);
2.Applicants must submit a comprehensive fellowship proposal (500-800 words) outlining the area of study their proposal is focused on (for example, state/district/rural/urban)
3.A jury of eminent academicians, editors and media professionals will review the applications, including fellowship proposal and sample of published work or telecast/broadcast material and select the media fellows;
4.The applicants will be given a chance to refine their proposals post selection, if the jury so recommends.
Admission Fee of the scholar for PhD Course at USTM and other fees including Ph.D. course work amounting to a total of Rs 3,50,000 (Rupees Three Lacs fifty thousand only ) has been made free by USTM.
The stipend will be paid out to the Research Scholar in installments, for a period of 3 years. They can either opt for
i) A monthly scholarship of Rs 10,000 (Rupees ten thousand only) for 3 years, OR
ii) Rs 60,000 (Rupees sixty thousand only) in every six months for 3 years.
The stipend will be paid from the month of commencement of the Fellowship.
II. Project Study Fellowship
The three Project Study fellowships, i.e., Study on “Skill India and its Impact at Grass root Level”, Study on “Comparative Development Scenario of Model Villages Identified by Members of Parliament: Before and After Adoption” and Study on “Rise of New Age Media and its Impact”—are for a period of six months each.
Interested journalists will be expected to spend significant amount of their research time in the field areas to report on the concerned subjects. USTM will provide mentorship support to each of the fellows during the fellowship period.
During the fellowship period (six months), each fellow is expected to write/publish, broadcast or telecast the following in media outlets:
· News stories / spot reports, feature stories, opinion pieces or analytical pieces on the respective topics of their choice to be published or broadcast or telecast in the media:
Print Media Journalist
Five reports (each of at least 500 words)
Five reports (each of 2‐15 minutes duration) depending upon the slot with the news channel
Five reports (each of 3‐30 minutes duration)
· One 5,000‐word analytical piece / write‐up on the issue(s) related to the selected topic, which could be published in a reputed magazine or journal. Electronic media and radio journalists can submit an analytical piece / write‐up or broadcast or telecast a 15‐minute documentary through their radio/ TV channels;
· The fellows must acknowledge the support of ICGS-USTM Media Fellowships – 2018 when they publish, broadcast, or telecast the articles or reports they produce under the fellowship
· As part of their fellowship, the fellows must attend workshops organised in their respective states under the Fellowship programme for sharing of knowledge, experiences or new information and inputs. They will be notified in advance about the workshops;
· Print media journalists must submit the original clippings of the published articles, along with the date and the name of publication;
· Electronic media journalists must submit the video and audio CDs of their output, along with the date of telecast/broadcast and the name of channel/station;
· All fellows have to submit photographs of the areas they worked in and the people they interviewed;
· Each fellow will submit a fellowship completion report at the end of the period putting in perspective all contributions made during the fellowship assignment.
· Copyright of the Study Reports will be shared by USTM and the concerned Fellow
Timeline of Deliverables
The fellows will have to submit four out of the six deliverables within four months from the commencement of the fellowship.
Fellowship applicants must send their applications with the following documents:
· A copy of their curriculum vitae (CV);
· A letter of support from the applicant's editor/ producer stating that the final output (stories, news reports, features, opinion pieces etc.) will be
published/broadcast/telecast by the affiliated media group. Freelance journalists can submit a letter of recommendation from a media group or a publication indicating its willingness to publish/ broadcast/ telecast her/ his work. Applications without the editors’/producers’ undertaking will not be considered;
· Applicants must submit a comprehensive fellowship proposal (500-800 words) outlining:
a) The region (state/districts) their proposal is focused on;
b) The subjects and story ideas that the applicant proposes to focus on, including a strategy for each of the five stories that they will publish;
· Print/online journalists are also expected to provide a sample of their published work on a development issue. ‘Published work’ implies article(s) written by the journalist that have been published in any national or regional newspaper, magazine, or news website/portal. All submissions must include the date of publication, ideally within the last six months.
· Television and radio journalists must provide one sample (on CDs) of their telecast/broadcast programme on a development issue, as well as a summary of the programme. All submissions must include the date of broadcast/telecast and the channel/station where it was aired, ideally within the last six months;
· A jury of eminent academicians, editors and media professionals will review the applications, including fellowship proposal and sample of published work or telecast/broadcast material and select the media fellows;
· The applicants will be given a chance to refine their proposals post selection, if the jury so recommends.
The stipend will be paid out in three installments:
a. 20 percent at the end of the first month/commencement of the fellowship.
c. 50 per cent upon successful completion of the fellowship and submission of the deliverables.
Fellows need to submit invoices of travel expenses on actuals for appropriate reimbursement.
The last date for submission of applications is January 10, 2019.
Dates of Written Test & Interviews will be declared in January 2019 in this website.
Please mention clearly in the subject line: “Application for ICGS-USTM Media Fellowships ‐ 2018”. Applications for the fellowship should be addressed by email to: email@example.com
The fellowships will be made effective through the resolution of the Academic Council of USTM at its meeting to be held soon.